Search This Blog

Thursday, February 07, 2013

April 4, 2006 - support from an adult

...The Gs arrived almost 2 weeks ago - they have been my saviours if youwill - they have listened - given advice - and taken me to places I needed to go mos - which has been the schools - I organized most of thir trip - set up a package for them - helped with off loading the truck and organizing boxes and then setting p packages to give to the teachers - So finaly after headaches - misdirection and confsion we set ot yesterday to visit 12 schools - everyone has brought a new smile to my face - schools that had once not had a single book - now have passing rates that have gone from 0 to 50%. They sing - and dance - and laugh - its trully why I am here - and it makes me sad that the last week I'm here - is the first time I have evperienced the real Zimbabwe - I jst hopetht perhaps my next adventure will bring with it more hands onexpriences - and that maybe one day I can create a project like the Gs - another thing that I have learned from themis how great a team a couple can be - and trully recognize the importamce of finding someone that is interested in the same things. They have travelled theorld and have given themselves wholly and together - I know that that is what I need and wan......


April 9, 2006

... Thursday night we left for the Falls - we stayed at a Lodge in Hwange that night - on our way into the park e saw  giraffee - it was beautiful - - I can't believe how graceful - butit was night so we didn't take pics. Our lodge was pretty nice, the boys had cabins on stilts which was really cool. I ha my pwn lodge - I told CL and told him I wish he was there with me (on the message) it was a really romantic place - On Friday we got up at 5:30am for safari - we went for three hours and in the park we saw a herd of zebra- a couple crocs, ostrich, secretary birds - a tortoise - impala - other antelope - a kackel andlots of birds - no monkeys - no elephants - no giraffs. Then on our way out we ended up seeing a couple of families of babboons and two giraffe. They were magnificent about 15 meters from our vehicle - then after breakfast we hurried off to the falls we had missed canoeing - rafting had been cancelled - etc. So we ended up just eating lunch at the Kingdom then going to see the falls. They were so strong you could barely see anything - we ended up goingback to the hotel and had a drink - around 8 the lodge owner got a call and said that there were elephants in the neighbourhood - we left the lodge and could hear cracking down the road in the dark. The lodge manager grabbed his vehicle and when he turned the corner there were 3 huge bull elephants eating at the end of the street. ... the next morning we got up went down to town and Dan and I made a crazy decision to do the gorge swing - I cannot beleveI did it - a 70 meter free fall - very few thoughts happened - one second the guy was counting and then - there I was at the bottom of the gorge - it was stunning down there - unbelievable - so that was esentially my trip......

....M  said something really moving before he left - he said "you know how we've been fighting for the kids? Now you need to go home and fight for yourself cause no one is fighting for yo - a truth I think thats hard to believe...
AJ

No comments: